RGB values for Spectrum colors

2»

Comments

• edited September 2004
    On 2004-09-09 10:32, CKay wrote:
    I`ve kept wondering see, that if I take a .z80 file from WoS, and put it on a virtual SAM .dsk with Edwins marvelous disk image manager - that could I just use that..

Seems so, from what you said... I`ll put the 48K rom on too..

You could use Martijn Groen's (hope I spelt that right!) ZX Spectrum emulator that's on the disk with the latest version of B-DOS - that'll support .sna, .z80 and .tap directly.
    Quazar - Celebrating 23 years of Developing for the SAM Coupé
    Hardware, Software, Magazines and more for the SAM Coupé
    Twitter: QuazarSamCoupe
  • edited September 2004
    Nice one... I thought the only Emulator`s we had were the original Lerm one, SAMTape or whatever, and the others that were around in early 90`s...

Hence me wondering if there was any way to get Spectrum games from here running on it (as most of the emulators at the time had their own formats...)

Will have a looksee :)
  • edited September 2004
    On 2004-09-09 11:17, CKay wrote:
    Nice one... I thought the only Emulator`s we had were the original Lerm one, SAMTape or whatever, and the others that were around in early 90`s...

There's been quite a few speccy emulators over the years - some commerical, some freeware. There's also a ZX81 emulator too.

And then there's some of the more interesting (non-sinclair!) emulators recently from Simon Owen - such as his PacMan Arade Machine emulator (think MAME on the Sam!) and his 6510 CPU emulator for playing Commie64 .SID files through the SID soundchip interface.
  • edited September 2004
    The Pacman emulator is really cool, especially as that`s how mame started... as a single emulator for pacman.

I`ve been meaning to look in Mame, to see what other games use the pacman driver, or were based on it`s hardware... for a possible indication as to which games might make it (HOPEFULLY) as other emulated games on SAM.

Who would have believed it :) Runs soo nice as well, I have the midway, and namco (think that`s right) versions running on SAM, as someone did their release with the roms on disk also.

Can`t wait to get your newest mag to read all about it.

*_+
  • edited September 2004
    On 2004-09-09 11:31, CKay wrote:
    I`ve been meaning to look in Mame, to see what other games use the pacman driver, or were based on it`s hardware... for a possible indication as to which games might make it (HOPEFULLY) as other emulated games on SAM.

The one that Simon says in the full article would be quite possible is Pengu... which uses the PacMan board, and I for one would like to see that running on the Sam!

We did spend time looking at which other arcade games used a z80 as it's main CPU, or a really slow CPU that could be emulated along the lines of his 6510 emulator. (For the SID player, the approx. emulated cpu speed works out at about 500KHz - more than enough for SID playing as the C64 is only clocked at 1MHz!)
  • edited October 2004
    Pingu is one i'd love to see also!

BTW Colin & Simon - great article about the Pacman conversion! Another good reason to buy your mag :)

Using Martin's ZX81 emulator was great - playing 3D Monster Maze on SAM was something quite unique :)

No one important.
  • edited October 2004
    On 2004-09-07 09:19, Sadako wrote:
    Ckay, if you like i have a bunch of 48k/128k ports to SAM, some with enhanced music/sound. email me if you want them, i'm not sure how big it'll all be :) i guess we'll need to get a Gigamail account :)

Ooooh!

I can never get hold of any of these!
    No one important.
  • edited October 2004
    Sadako can`t reliably/frequently get online at the mo :(

I`ve got quite a few from `back in the day` though, PM me if you want them :)

• edited November 2004
    I remember a prog (I think it was published in 16/48 tape magazine) which produced about 300 colours using ink/paper/bright combos and three dithers.? I think one dither was 1/4 ink and 3/4 paper (each 4x4 pixel block had the top-left pixel set), and another was half-half; not the usual checkerboard either, even pixel lines (counting from 0) were solid paper and odd ones were solid ink! :)

The latter was interesting, as not only did it result in far less shimmer than a checkerboard dither, but (for instance) red ink and green paper produced a noticeably different result from green ink and red paper.? This probably depended on the way the PAL encoding system works, and thus wouldn't show in an emulator (or on an NTSC Spectrum).
    I never make misteaks mistrakes misyales errurs — oh, sod it.