Tau Ceti

edited December 2004 in Games
This is the best looking of the 3D games I've been trying recently. But again there is some confusion. I've read the instructions on this site, but I still can't move from one place to the next. Where are the freakin' jump pads? What do they look like? I can only see some towers and strange ramp-like things on the surface. It tells you to press "j" when you get close to a jump pad, but no object on the surface does anything when I press J. I can dock and equip etc, but jump pads? Never! Somebody let me in on what's going on here, it looks to good to miss out.
Post edited by Spector on
THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ

Comments

• edited December 2004
    thats the thing with all these super amazing games like elite, sentinel, tau ceti etc etc .......there all too complicated, too confusing and too bollocks :)

thats why i stick to chuckie egg :)
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited December 2004
    They definitely work as I remember doing the jumps when I played it back in the day.

The pads are usually a little outside of the city (a dot on it's own on the edge of the map, maybe?) and consist of a squat pad with a pole at one side. You press "j" as you get close to it or when you're pretty much on top of it and you make the jump.

Look out for sandhoppers post-jump! ;)
  • edited December 2004
    Exactly as Zagreb says - just wanted to add what a fantastic game.

Thanks Spector I think I'll have another bash at completing it now.

Dave
  • edited December 2004
    i wanted to like this game so much but in the end it just seemed like no fun at all.

pete cooke's a bit of a legend though.

• edited December 2004
    lol...... :)

'thats the thing with all these super amazing games like elite, sentinel, tau ceti etc etc .......there all too complicated, too confusing and too bollocks

thats why i stick to chuckie egg '

I know wot u mean ;).

However I would like to stick up for Elite cos that is a classic nuff said.

Must admit I could never really get into Tall City :cool:
  • edited December 2004
    Aye, Tau Ceti is a corking game. The jump pads are as described - a tall thin pole on one side, and a squat little base on the other. You fly between them, and continuely tap 'J' as you do so.

You'll know when you jump.
  • edited December 2004
    Tau Ceti is a masterpiece and one of my all time favorite Speccy games. Make sure you'll play the 128K version - it's bigger, bolder and better.
  • edited December 2004
    To date, Tau Ceti remains the only 3D game (isometric not included) I ever got into. Superb stuff all the way.

Initially, however, I did have some bother trying to figure out the game but once I had it figured out, it was a blast to play.

Tau Ceti requires some strategy while playing. There is no point in teleporting to a heavily defended city and trying to blast everyone in sight. I found guerilla warfare to be very effective in some cities, and in some cases you may have to wander around the perimeter of the city probing its defenses before making a decisive move.

The jump pads are tricky to locate - they are usually a little away from the city center, mostly all by themselves and require some patience in tracking down. You will do well to note down the approx directions to the jump pad for each city, in case u need to make a quick exit! :)
  • edited December 2004
    I really ought to try Academy. It's far bigger than Tau Ceti.

Mind you, I've never managed to master the first game really. At least, I never completed it.
  • edited December 2004
    OK....OK after reading all ur high praises all Tall City I thought I give it another go.

Only trouble is I cant seem to start the game. The onscreen prompt says 'press break' to start but this doesnt seem to work.......any offers of help :)
  • edited December 2004
    I remember trying this as a kid and not getting ANYWHERE.

It was one of those games that I bought because it looked so good, but I just couldn't work out how to play the damn thing and ended up neglecting it!

• edited December 2004
    After pressing break you're in docking mode. Type HELP to view all available commands. I guess LAUNCH is the one that you need to get flying. :)
  • edited December 2004
    Thanks for the jelp....gonna have a look later but I think my problem is I cant find the 'break' key on my keyboard! :(
  • edited December 2004
    I reckon you have tried SHIFT + SPACE for break..?
  • edited December 2004
    On 2004-12-10 10:52, Humbug wrote:
    OK....OK after reading all ur high praises all Tall City I thought I give it another go.

Only trouble is I cant seem to start the game. The onscreen prompt says 'press break' to start but this doesnt seem to work.......any offers of help :)
    Crikey you'd think these people had never owned a speccy eh?

The game's not talking about your PC keyboard!!

[ This Message was edited by: b00mzi11a on 2004-12-10 17:41 ]
  • edited December 2004
    of course I did not make myself completely crystal clear.

I cannot find the key combo on my PC keyboard to emulate the 'Break' button needed for the speccy emulator that I am using, as my original rubber keyed speccy is in London and I am in Geneva, Switzerland.

But thks Lars.
  • edited December 2004
    er.... I mean thks Paul Van Der Laan.... :)