Happy 30th Birthday ZX Spectrum !!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Join the IRC, I'm stuck here with guesser and necros...in other words, help.
  • edited April 2012
    Happy Birthday!
  • edited April 2012
    Congratulations, 30 years !
    Let's make it another 30 years.
  • edited April 2012
    Daren wrote: »
    Article in The Edge: The making of the ZX Spectrum

From the article:
    Many of the Spectrum?s most lovable quirks were the result of ingenious shortcuts and tricks implemented to keep costs down. For example, with colour information for 49,000 pixels contained in just 256 bytes, the hardware?s infamous ?attribute clash? was born, as pixels battled with each other to retain their own colours.

Fail.
  • edited April 2012
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited April 2012
    Any takers for a bit of a chat?
    It would be nice not to be alone with Necros. :D
  • edited April 2012
    And here is the height of my personal celebration, that I wish to share with you fellas... Which best homage to the little beast, than loading up...

IMG_9532_bis.jpg

...the old and venerable Horizons tape? :D :D :D
  • edited April 2012
    mheide wrote: »
    Any takers for a bit of a chat?
    It would be nice not to be alone with Necros. :D

"Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer"

Tsk! No chat for me then!
  • edited April 2012
    And here is the height of my personal celebration, that I wish to share with you fellas... Which best homage to the little beast, than loading up...

IMG_9532_bis.jpg

...the old and venerable Horizons tape? :D :D :D

You take good care of your Speccy, it has its own ceremonial pillow!
  • edited April 2012
    Graz wrote: »
    "Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer"

Tsk! No chat for me then!

Pheer the WoS power! Install chrome. ;)
  • edited April 2012
    R-Tape wrote: »
    You take good care of your Speccy, it has its own ceremonial pillow!

You can tell he feeds it grapes and chocolate and fans it when its heatsink can't cope.
    MrCheese wrote: »
    Pheer the WoS power! Install chrome. ;)

Yeah, I know I should. I'm on my netbook here, so it's IE8 for now. I have Chrome on my laptop. Patti has Chrome too.

Ne'mind. I'll read the chat-logs later.
  • edited April 2012
    Ceremonial pillow?

:lol: No, actually it's a Panasonic Blu-ray reader with a cloth on, but anyway, given the awesomeness of the Spectrum, it can be used like that! :lol:
  • Many happy returns dear friend!
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah many happy returns. Been a big part of my computer life since I first saw Mind the Meteors! in '82. All those colours! & it looked so sleek & cool & black compared to the other beige boxes.
    We have cave!
  • zx1zx1
    edited April 2012
    I was going to bring my old +2 out and have a go at some games but i've just got home and i'm too tired to do anything else, ho hum:sad:
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited April 2012
    A very happy birthday, dear pal! It hardly seems like 30 years already, not many friendships last this long... Here's to the next 30!

And many thanks to all the WoSers and specchums all over the world putting their effort into releasing so many new stuff and contributing to the celebration in so many ways. It's been a joy reading through WoS today, you really made it feel a special day indeed!
  • edited April 2012
    The party continues in irc...Guesser just hosted a game of strip Psion Scrabble.
  • edited April 2012
    beanz wrote: »
    The party continues in irc...Guesser just hosted a game of strip Psion Scrabble.

I didn't know if I should use my Q's or X's. Terrible it was. Lucky you can answer "Yes" to "Is qxwzwqx a word?" :p
  • edited April 2012
    Happy birthday Speccy! Here's to the next 30 and beyond! Thank you Sir Clive!
  • edited April 2012
    We just need 22 more people to log in (erm, right now) for today to become the new "most ever users online" stat! :grin:
  • edited April 2012
    Here's one more - Happy 30th birthday speccy!

5965697730_ae125e28ae.jpg
  • Happy Birthday Speccy!

i was saying earlier it was the basis of my childhood, but as my girlfriend quite rightly corrected me... it was the basis of my entire life!

when reflecting, the only thing that makes me sad is we'll never see such an amazing invention again as everything is taken for granted now.
  • edited April 2012

Welcome back Mr Prawn!
  • Wookiee wrote: »

Happy birthday to Sir Clive's little black box of delights

this comment made me smile immensely. if it was on twitter i would have retweeted it immediately after seeing it!
  • edited April 2012
    MrCheese wrote: »
    Welcome back Mr Prawn!

Thanks MrCheese! I never really left, just really tend to go back to lurking a lot more when I'm not actively doing anything "constructive" for the speccy scene. Of course everyone who can should pop in on this very special day. :D
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks MrCheese! I never really left, just really tend to go back to lurking a lot more when I'm not actively doing anything "constructive" for the speccy scene. Of course everyone who can should pop in on this very special day. :D

Well, it's good to see you.
  • edited April 2012
    In the 80s the Speccy left an imprint on my brain that's never going to leave, cause it just defined the time for me. Those memories are almost like a dream now, but strangely enough when I started getting into it all again a decade ago, it left more memories very much like the original ones from the 80s; being an adult made no difference.

It can only mean one thing:

I am Spectrum. Today. Tomorrow. Forever!

Happy Birthday, dear old Speccy :D
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited April 2012
    Hurrah! 135 online on the forum! Breaking the 125 25th anniversary record! Let's hope some of the new and returning Specchums stick around!
  • edited April 2012
    Happy birthday Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

What can I say?

You summed up the Eighties for me.

Here is to a lot more birthdays. :)
  • edited April 2012

Wow! That looks really tasty! But wait, no candles? ;)