Mods to build a Spectrum Games console?

edited October 2014 in Hardware
The iccle boy asked to keep the Spectrum hooked up to the TV permanently to be used as a games console. I thought yeah I could do that, have it sat next to the PS3 slim!

May I ask which of the various modern hardware boards would be best to do this with, I'd want to be able to have a huge collection of games, all easily selectable and fast load, preferably via joystick? I currently use the Fruitcake ROM boards but I can only get 4-5 games on one cart.

Joystick...my main concern is that that I really do need a pair of joysticks, preferably wireless, this is easily achieved on a PC emulator by using a pair of Windows Xbox 360 controllers but on a real Spectrum I'm not sure.

Has anyone ever built a spectrum joystick interface board that could communicate with a wireless 360 pad and emulate in hardware a Kempston or a pair of Sinclair Interface II joystick?

If not is it feasible, what are the issues?
Post edited by Korinel on

Comments

• edited October 2014
    How about a Raspberry Pi running an emulator? You might have to muck about with some scripting to make it boot and shut down, but it has HDMI output. You could add MAME and other emulators too.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited October 2014
    joefish wrote: »
    How about a Raspberry Pi running an emulator? You might have to muck about with some scripting to make it boot and shut down, but it has HDMI output. You could add MAME and other emulators too.

The Spectrum was repaired by my boy so he's attached to it now so he wants that as the console, but he wants the real deal!

We already have a Windows tablet connected to the TV with an Emulator, the 360 controllers, wireless keyboard and mouse, but he wants the real deal!
  • edited October 2014
    dunno if this would do, use two tablets: one connected to the speccy running one of those tape player apps with fast load enabled, use the other tablet as remote control with a screen-sharing app like teamviewer
  • jpjp
    edited October 2014
    Korinel wrote: »
    ...I currently use the Fruitcake ROM boards but I can only get 4-5 games on one cart....

Try one of the new ZXC4 cartridges - the Flash ROM is 4MB so plenty of room for plenty of games on there!
  • edited October 2014
    I know nothing about Windows Xbox 360 controllers, but back in the mid 1980's there were infra-red remote joysticks.

Fast forward to today and it is possible and practical to use a short range low power radio link for use with a "wire free" joystick. However, I don't know if there are any commercial projects like this. It would be similar to a wire free keyboard or mouse.

If you and your son have the correct skills, it should be possible to adapt a normal joystick by using ready made radio modules along with a couple of micro controller chips.

Mark
  • edited October 2014
    1024MAK wrote: »
    If you and your son have the correct skills, it should be possible to adapt a normal joystick by using ready made radio modules along with a couple of micro controller chips.

Indeed, this would be a very do-able little project to build and fit inside an old joystick with three AAA batteries or something :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.