Database model ZXDB

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Timmy wrote: »
    hikoki wrote: »
    @timmy the goal of the site was not overlap wos but make a site for my enjoyment and others with far less info than provided by infoseek so I might share with you all a friendlier version later, with googleforms to update the spreadsheet and more fields as per the zxdb model. Surely I would need help to make such new spreadsheet..

Oh, I didn't say, and I also didn't mean your site is overlapping wos (I'm very sure it isn't.) I only said that the data is similar to what I publish, and that it's (probably) not much work for me to work on your site too by just copy-and-paste. If it was a lot of new work, I would have said "no", but I don't think it is.

@Timmy
    Pm sent. Please see if it is not much work for you. I think you can complete the info better than me and I cant work on this until next mont. Do whatever you can, no hurries.. we seem the only guys who have been archiving recent games *well im sure there are more people out thete but for some reason they remain in the dark*
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • It's good to see a workable DB rather than some suggestions I got!

It currently doesn't match the work already done - but it's nothing that can't be used. My only issue with updates now is WoS credits people with the updates, and that's not easy to do with this DB. Maybe an extra table for the updates?
    My test signature
  • It's good to see a workable DB rather than some suggestions I got!

You are welcome!

My only issue with updates now is WoS credits people with the updates, and that's not easy to do with this DB. Maybe an extra table for the updates?

Do you mean something similar to "What's new?" page from old WoS? If so, the same system that will manage submission approvals could also append new log items to this page (user, date, brief description), like an auditing system. I see no need to store the information inside the database itself.

Alternatively, if you really want to store this information inside the database anyway, it will have to be associated with system management tables (together with registered usernames, passwords, configurations, moderators, etc). I'm not modeling any of this generic management infrastructure, just the WoS archive content.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • It depends on how you want the data displayed. I had done it so that the "Whats new" page would still be there, but each item also has a last updated box on the page. This ran alongside the page verification button so that certain members could verify changes without having full admin access (in theory, anyone on WoS could do it) - a double check of changes.
    My test signature
  • hikoki wrote: »
    @Timmy
    Pm sent. Please see if it is not much work for you. I think you can complete the info better than me and I cant work on this until next mont. Do whatever you can, no hurries.. we seem the only guys who have been archiving recent games *well im sure there are more people out thete but for some reason they remain in the dark*
    Thanks.

The weekend before September is traditionally the busiest weekend in the year for me. I will have not much free time until next Wednesday to the very least.
  • edited August 2016
    Yet another database version is now available here.

You will notice the database is getting smaller now. I have been able to validate and eliminate quite a lot of redundant data lately :)
    Post edited by Einar Saukas on
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
    Thanked by 1jonesypeter
  • Today I was able to verify and eliminate one more redundant table. Latest version is here as usual!
    Thanked by 21024MAK RMartins
  • Thanks! :)

My plan is to spend another week improving this database. Then it will be ready to accept new entries from recent years that Hikoki and Timmy are currently organizing...
    Thanked by 1R-Tape
  • I half expect someone to start whining about normalization.. just to have something to whine about. =)
    http://iki.fi/sol | http://iki.fi/sol/speccy/ | https://github.com/jarikomppa/speccy
    http://goo.gl/q2j0NZ - make ZX Spectrum choose your own adventure games, no programming needed (release 3)
  • Thanks! :)

My plan is to spend another week improving this database. Then it will be ready to accept new entries from recent years that Hikoki and Timmy are currently organizing...

Most of this thread is over my head but this sounds incredibly encouraging!

And yet another database update is available here.
  • Sol_HSA wrote: »
    I half expect someone to start whining about normalization.. just to have something to whine about. =)

Actually everyone is welcome to post suggestions for improvements. I may not accept all suggestions, but I promise to consider each one of them seriously...
  • Actually everyone is welcome to post suggestions for improvements. I may not accept all suggestions, but I promise to consider each one of them seriously...
    Normalization is one of those holy grail things some database designers fight over, like number of spaces or "is it oop enough" for c++ programmers. In the end it doesn't really matter, as long as it works.

http://iki.fi/sol | http://iki.fi/sol/speccy/ | https://github.com/jarikomppa/speccy
    http://goo.gl/q2j0NZ - make ZX Spectrum choose your own adventure games, no programming needed (release 3)
  • Once again, a new version is available here...

• HELP WANTED!!!

In order to better organize magazine references to ZX-Spectrum games (game reviews, type-ins, etc), we will need a list of all released issues for each Speccy-related magazine.

I have already compiled this information for a few magazines, but there's a lot more to do. Would you like to help?

This task doesn't require too much technical expertise, just knowing how to use a spreadsheet is enough. But it does require attention to detail, to avoid providing incorrect information that would cause errors on magazine references afterwards.

Basically the task consists in the following steps:

1.) Choose a magazine nobody has listed yet.

2.) Check as many sources as possible, to find out all magazine issues that were released. Good sources are Meulie, Retromags, OldGameMags, Internet Archive, Datassette, etc.

3.) Download all magazine issues and cover scans you can find.

4.) For each magazine issue, check the cover to obtain all identification details about this issue.

Take a look here for examples of magazine issues I have listed already.

Notice that certain magazine issues provide an issue number only, without any dates (such as "RUN"). Others don't have numbered issues, they are only identified by month/year (such as "Your Computer"). Others provide both number and date (such as "ZX Computing"). Sometimes the same magazine provides issue number and month/year for certain issues, but start omitting month during periods where they become irregular (such as the Brazilian "MicroHobby-BR"). They may even start omitting year also, printing instead "Number 90 Volume VIII" or "Number 90 Year VIII" in certain issues (such as "Micro Sistemas").

As you can see, this is not a trivial task, it will require some investigation work...

My example spreadsheet is ready-only. Instead of providing edit access to a lot of people, I think it would be easier if anyone willing to help could just create their own spreadsheet and share it here. Any help will be very much appreciated!
  • A couple more notes:

* Column DAY is only useful for weekly magazines. Monthly magazines can leave it blank.

* If a magazine issue mentions 2 months in the cover, please register the first month as release date, but mention both months in "special issue name" field. For instance:

--> First issue of ZX Computing says "Summer 1982" in the cover, so it should be registered as ISSUE_NUMBER=1, YEAR=1982, SPECIAL_NAME=Summer.

--> Second issue of ZX Computing says "Aug/Sept 1982" in the cover, so it should be registered as ISSUE_NUMBER=2, YEAR=1982, MONTH=8, SPECIAL_NAME=Aug/Sep.

And so on...
  • My last try, any thoughts on these two programs? at last they may be inspiring.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VuFind
    Vufind's search interface is awesome, see demo.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omeka
    Omeka, this one fits imo all the features demanded by infoseek as for easy administration by several persons, uploader forms so anyone can send files from dropbox, etc
    It seems to be well funded and has a strong community.
    Both can import zxdb, I think..
  • edited September 2016
    Hi again. I've finished to do my research about digital library cms, you may want to take a look to get inspiration and see how they deal with collections, formats, file preservation tracking, tagging, etc. wow it seems to be an entire science, biblioteconomy or something.
    I liked these opensource ones funded by public institutions: greenstone.org, inveniosoftware.org, omeka.org, vufind.org
    Vufind and Invenio have a powerful search system. Omeka and Greenstone are well documented. Omeka has admin friendly tools and useful plugins, also forums are active. Greenstone has a databaseplugin importer (mmm perhaps could diggest a zxdb directly) and can export to marcxml (bibliographic format for multimedia) which in turn could be imported to other cms like vufind (cool search ui) and invenio. The possibility of importing amongst different cms or even combine several of them to manage wos woud need a bit more of detailed researching..
    As for premium opensource soft of this kind, you may take a look at this java soft: portofino.manydesigns.com It claims to get an existing database, inspect it and build the entire site and admin system automatically. Wow really?
    One (not me) can also look at the php code generated by these other two freetotry programs which are in the same vein as portofino: https://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/mysql/phpgenerator/
    http://www.phpcodegeneratorpro.com/
    The first one has a free lite version.
    Which experiment I may try? Perhaps feeding greenstone with zxdb thanks to its importer. Besides greenstone's collections can be exported to cd/dvd.
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • Thanks for your research, but don't you think it would be better to start a new thread like "Open source solutions for new WoS site" or something? Finding a better way to build WoS front-end doesn't have much to do with the database model really.
  • edited September 2016
    I don't know if it has something to do with zxdb. Lee asked me to put these links here. I can create anothere thread if you want. Anyways those programs work with relational databases
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • Yes, please create a new thread, then post the thread link here!

Otherwise we will keep alternating 2 different discussions in the same thread: current database evolution (including my request for help that sadly got no replies yet!) and open source solutions that could be used to build the new WoS front-end site.
  • Yes, please create a new thread, then post the thread link here!

Otherwise we will keep alternating 2 different discussions in the same thread: current database evolution (including my request for help that sadly got no replies yet!) and open source solutions that could be used to build the new WoS front-end site.
    Done here: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/53252/open-source-solutions-for-new-wos-site#latest
  • Thank you!
  • I have already compiled this information for a few magazines, but there's a lot more to do. Would you like to help?

I'm glad to say jonesypeter just offered to compile this information for Crash. Thank you!!!

He also reminded me that Retropdfs is another great source of information about magazines.

Are there volunteers for any other magazines? MicroHobby (Spanish version) for instance...
  • edited September 2016
    I have no background on Magazines, so, not much help, sorry.

All I had access to, back in the day, was some ZX section of a news paper that was released on Saturdays, which had some pokes and stuff like that. sometimes code too..
    Post edited by RMartins on
  • In terms of cataloguing magazines, please be aware I've been working on these for the last few months, and have catalogued most of the scans on wos.

By catalogue, I mean magx issue1 dated Jan 87, issue 2 dated Feb 87.

I'm currently tidying up the fairly big spreadsheet I have.. So if anyone is thinking of starting, email me and I'll tell you what I've not done :)
  • I'm only on my phone just now, so don't have a copy of the work done.. The end result will hopefully be a spreadsheet for each magazine (it's a bit unwieldily in its "master" format)
  • Re: Magazines

This probably won't be of that much use to you as it's far from complete anyway and only covers Your Sinclair, Crash, Your Spectrum and Sinclair User but I started compiling this table ages ago for ZXSR. There's a little bit of extra info, Price, Editor and Number of Pages - but like I say, is far from complete.
  • In terms of cataloguing magazines, please be aware I've been working on these for the last few months, and have catalogued most of the scans on wos.

Ops!!!

Please excuse me. I knew you were cataloguing magazines (I even mentioning it in this thread last month when I detailed the ZXDB roadmap), but then I completely forgot about it... I even end up cataloguing a few magazines myself afterwards thus spending my time on unnecessary work :(

If anyone else would like to help on this, please contact him directly. It makes no sense to duplicate this work. In the meantime I will focuse on other database areas while waiting for this magazine information to be ready.