Database model **** (cont.)

Comments

• KenD wrote: »
    Pegaz wrote: »
    Everything is connected here, the existing intolerance towards ZXDB and Einar personally, has grown to unprecedented levels.

And Lee, in a public Facebook reply to me, said that Einar was a member of the WoS admin team! With friends like these ...

Could you please elaborate on what exactly has been said?
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited November 2017
    Lee_Fogarty.png

Certainly looks like Lee was implying Einar is on the admin team ... or am I misinterpreting Lee here? (No further reply was received)
    Post edited by KenD on
  • This site is the laughing stock of the speccy world at this point. It's a real shame and I mean that sincerely.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • guesser wrote: »
    This site is the laughing stock of the speccy world at this point. It's a real shame and I mean that sincerely.
    Yip.

• Talking about statements that Lee has made (but chosen to post on the walled garden WoS site), I just listened to this one - as voiced by ashens. I think all Lee's statements should be posted this way in future as I feel it would eventually bring harmony to the community. Or something.
    https://twitter.com/ashens/status/929767282926026757
  • Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, I have been part of the WoS admin team. Sort of...

I never even discussed it before , because I strongly believe in respecting people's privacy (including anything discussed in private messages and groups). So I wouldn't bring up this subject without the other party's consent.

But since Lee doesn't mind sharing this information publicly, neither do I. Moreover, if I don't clarify it now, it might lead to all kinds of speculations and we had too much of that already.

I joined the WoS admin group in FaceBook back in February 2017, per Lee's invitation, after I contacted WoS admins directly. The purpose was working out the best way to import data from ZXDB into the new WoS tables. Although I don't like FaceBook, at the time I created a temporary FaceBook account just to participate in that group discussions.

For the following 3 months, I voluntarily silenced about discussing "WoS with ZXDB" in this forum, so it would not interfere with our private conversations in the group. However, it didn't work out. Again, I'm not going to betray anyone's trust by revealing details about private conversations, it suffices to say I tried to address every Lee request, to no avail. Such as, if you think it's weird that I suddenly removed all auto-increments from ZXDB earlier this year, it's because Lee thought that auto-increments were a major problem somehow...

After over 3 months, I finally gave up and restarted bringing this subject in the forum again. Then I was blocked from the WoS admin group and the rest is history...

My participation in the WoS admin team was restricted to these discussions. I never participated in forum moderation or any other issues. That's all.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • I don't believe I have ever said increments are a bad idea. I said two increments in the same table was a bad idea.

To clairfy, and bear in mind there are a lot more people in the admin group than just the forum admins, who all read what was going one - Einar kept insisting on having direct database access and not acknowledging there is a controlled CMS. He also kept wanting to work on items nobody else was, or working to help them. Eventually, after being asked to do a task relevant to the work, he refused so he was removed from the group.
    My test signature
  • I don't believe I have ever said increments are a bad idea. I said two increments in the same table was a bad idea.

Err... what?

How did I manage to do that? No database system allows defining 2 auto-increments in the same table!

To clairfy, and bear in mind there are a lot more people in the admin group than just the forum admins, who all read what was going one - Einar kept insisting on having direct database access and not acknowledging there is a controlled CMS.

Err... what?

When did I do it?

He also kept wanting to work on items nobody else was, or working to help them.

Err... what?

What items are you talking about?

Eventually, after being asked to do a task relevant to the work, he refused so he was removed from the group.

Err... what?

So what was exactly this task that I refused?

Look, we clearly have distinct recollections about what happened. And I have just posted that I don't think it's ethical to quote a private discussion without the other party's consent, thus the reason I won't do it myself. However you have my consent to publish our discussions, if you want. Therefore we will be able to figure out who got it wrong!

Feel free to choose to release publicly any discussions we had at the FaceBook group, at your convenience. My only condition is, regardless of the discussion thread(s) you choose to publish, just make sure you publish the entire discussion thread to avoid anything taken out of context. Deal?

To clairfy, and bear in mind there are a lot more people in the admin group than just the forum admins, who all read what was going one - Einar kept insisting on having direct database access and not acknowledging there is a controlled CMS. He also kept wanting to work on items nobody else was, or working to help them. Eventually, after being asked to do a task relevant to the work, he refused so he was removed from the group.

So, why are you censoring ****.co.uk, anyway?
  • Man, I remember when I used to come here to read about people talking about games and stuff. Then I had to register to read about people talking about games and stuff. Then I had to stop using a VPN to read about people talking about games and stuff. Now it seems I barely get to read about people talking about games, and it seems there's stuff people aren't allowed to talk about. What a mess.

My first comment here (I think) is to say that... I suspect I'm off to ****.co.uk -- I want a forum that's a forum, not a one-man fortress.
  • I personally don't mind being on multiple forums. In case one of them becomes temporary unavailable, you can still be reached on other forums. Obviously I'm also on other forums too, since now I'm also (starting to) make games on other 8-bit platforms. Sometimes using other names too, in case actions on one have consequences on other.

Multiple forums is fine. It does cost more time to handle all of them though. :)
  • edited November 2017
    I'm getting sick of this soap-opera where you're expected to follow every puerile bust-up on tedious social-media channels to know who we're supposed to be spurning from day-to-day.

I appreciate a lot of what's directed at this forum is targetted personality trolling but the criticism of failing functions, lack of software catalogue updates and a peculiar personality cult where people seem to live in completely different realities surrounding the same events are quite valid from all I can see. I really don't want to hear anyone's half-@rsed justifications for it any more. This site has no coherent control and is falling apart, and I'm past the point of caring who hears that opinion expressed in public.

(Now I know there will be other people reading this with some sick perveted glee and copying it onto their own channels. To those people I should point out I despise you and exactly what you're doing, but you're going to do it anyway and I really don't care all that much - but don't kid yourself for one second that you're helping).
    Post edited by joefish on
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • I for one don’t feel any sense of glee, just resignation that a wonderful resource has been allowed to decline to the state that it’s in.
    The Spectrum Resuscitation Thread - bringing dead Spectrums back to life
    zx-diagnostics - Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century (wiki)
    Sinclair FAQ Wiki
  • Sod it im out

I know no one is gong to give a hoot im leaving but hey ho.

This is your legacy foggy a once great site in tatters because you lied and deceived people who trusted you,
  • edited November 2017
    ArchieB wrote: »
    Man, I remember when I used to come here to read about people talking about games and stuff. Then I had to register to read about people talking about games and stuff. Then I had to stop using a VPN to read about people talking about games and stuff. Now it seems I barely get to read about people talking about games, and it seems there's stuff people aren't allowed to talk about. What a mess.

My first comment here (I think) is to say that... I suspect I'm off to ****.co.uk -- I want a forum that's a forum, not a one-man fortress.

So your first post on this forum is to say you are not going to post on this forum......and you are going to use a different website....

well I'm not going to watch the X Factor now..... so there. (blows raspberry)

AGAIN this is not your (that's everybody with an opinion) website , it's LEE's he pays for the bandwidth and he will run it anyway he want's. nothing has changed apart from he has blocked Spectrum Comp's site. so what.
    Post edited by ASH-II on
  • ASH-II wrote: »
    ArchieB wrote: »
    Man, I remember when I used to come here to read about people talking about games and stuff. Then I had to register to read about people talking about games and stuff. Then I had to stop using a VPN to read about people talking about games and stuff. Now it seems I barely get to read about people talking about games, and it seems there's stuff people aren't allowed to talk about. What a mess.

So your first post on this forum is to say you are not going to post on this forum......and you are going to use a different website....

well I'm not going to watch the X Factor now..... so there. (blows raspberry)

AGAIN this is not your (that's everybody with an opinion) website , it's LEE's he pays for the bandwidth and he will run it anyway he want's. nothing has changed apart from he has blocked Spectrum Comp's site. so what.

Well said.
    nothing has changed apart from he has blocked Spectrum Comp's site. so what.

Well it makes it look like the site is being run by a paranoid lunatic, which is sort of a bad image for WoS. I agree though, if you're leaving a forum there is no good whatsoever to be had by loudly telling everyone so.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
    OK, you want my opinion? Tough, you're getting it anyway! ;)

This is exactly why so many people are leaving. Whilst the website has always been "owned" by someone, it has always only ever existed due to the many contributions of many different people in the "community". Martijn ran it really well, ensured updates happened pretty regularly, communicated with people, information wasn't kept on a "need to know" basis, no-one spread lies to line their pockets with tainted money and all was good in the world.

Fast forward to several years after Martijn's departure and you've now got the situation where it's "Lee's website" to apparently do with as he pleases. Anyone who dares ask questions, make suggestions or generally have a thought of their own is seen as dangerous and classed as a hater / troll. Personally, I struggle to understand the mentality of people who can still mindlessly support what's been happening. Are you seriously that uninformed? Are you choosing to ignore facts because they don't suit your view? What needs to happen exactly before you'd change your mind? Seriously.
    Thanked by 1Zoffy
  • Martijn also decided nearly a decade ago he'd had enough of the **** on the forums and wanted to close them.

Rose tinted glasses are great...
    My test signature
  • edited November 2017
    Don't worry Lee, seeing as these forums have descended into a weird censored echo chamber, where comments are edited by admins to distort their meaning and well-meaning individuals are painted as villains, soon no-one will want to post here anyway.

Was there really a need to shut down and censor discussion of zed ecks dee bee and/or the "other site"?
    Post edited by KenD on
  • The ban stays until I get to the bottom of why it happened in the first place (without my knowledge).
    My test signature
  • The ban stays until I get to the bottom of why it happened in the first place (without my knowledge).

What's the "it" you're referring to?
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    The ban stays until I get to the bottom of why it happened in the first place (without my knowledge).

What's the "it" you're referring to?

The ban.
    My test signature
  • ZoffyZoffy
    grabs the popcorn
    /me grabs the popcorn

General Malthadius Zoff
    Magenta icon
  • I was going to write a very long post on taking sides without knowing any facts or jumping up and down over the slightest thing and then I had a sneaky look at the Spectrum Comp Forum......
    I would ban the lot of ya. (If it turns out too be the real users)
  • Nope, I don't understand any of this.
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    Nope, I don't understand any of this.

Me neither. It must have been known that censoring these terms, and closing down the existing discussion thread, would lead to this kind of reaction. Either this isn't the case (and whoever's responsible is blithely unaware of the already fractured community), or it's another quite blatant attention-seeking ploy, in which case they've got what they wanted.

I don't get it; if WoS was ad-supported, I could understand someone wanting to protect their revenue by isolating a new "rival", whilst also stimulating traffic to their site by provoking a flame war. But WoS is free (and all credit to Lee/Martijn for that), so ... is this just more "look how important I am" behaviour?
  • Lee - are you saying that you didn't ban ZXDB or ****?

What about locking the ZXDB and **** threads?
  • edited November 2017
    Come on Lee, you didn't do it? So who did it? Gremlins, fairies?

You have absolute right to compete with other forums and sites but do it through quality of your site and not lack of freedom of speech.
    Post edited by Ralf on

Only admins have the authority to do such a thing, so you dont have to investigate too much.
    Assuming you are innocent, who will be the sacrificial lamb? Karingal or David?
    This is the worst soap opera I've ever seen..