1988-2018..

Comments

• I've never heard of that game... free climbing??? WTF???
    Anyway, I've never understood the point of climbing things, especially if they're some kilometers high.

It seems you enjoy visiting famous monuments while climbing, it can't be that boring.
  • I visited Dunnotar castle with a mate once and it was closed, so we climbed the wall to get in. True story.
  • Spectrum games are often a mirror of real life! ;)
  • And that's how Free Climbing was born.
  • Me and an old mate of mine climbed the outside of the Priory at Tynemouth, and went wandering around the grounds for a laugh. We sat on top of the cliffs watching a few other mates who were down on the beach and laughing at them. I hadn't been there for years at the time, and we climbed back down and walked around to go down onto the beach to meet up with the people we'd been laughing at.

As we walked round the front of the Priory we realised you had to pay to get in, so climbing does have it's benefits afterall :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Nick wrote: »
    Software House Cult
    SoftwareHouse.gif

Business simulation set in the games industry. After naming your company you have to choose which of the three programs that get sent to you are worthy for release, sign the deal, duplicate tapes, set the price etc.

The trouble is everything happens so slowly it's easy to lose interest in this game within a few minutes. Not as good as Millionaire or Just Imagine, which this game is based on. It's not even as good as Software Star.

1/5

I bought this at the time but it's dull and also has a few bugs. I never really managed to make any money and eventually gave up on it. I prefer MAD Games Tycoon on the PC for this type of game.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • Metal Army
    MetalArmy.gif
    by Delos Software (Mark Haden, David Wright, Martin Severn)

An original blend of platform, shooting and puzzle elements in a sci fi setting. It's not easy. It's frustrating, with addictive potential.

3,25/5

MetalArmy.gif
  • Metal Army....My older cousin loved that game back when it came out, me not so much.

It's alright, there's just something about it annoys me, might review it myself at some point.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • It seems ok, but it didn't win me over.
  • I remember playing Metal Army too. Though I don't remember much of the game. So I'm guessing it was fairly average.
  • Dragon Ninja [Imagine Software]
    DragonNinja.gif
    by Paul Owens, Mark R. Jones, Bill Harbison

It's a good gang beat'em up with horizontal scrolling where you must save president Bush so he can start the first Iraq war a couple of years later. You're a real hero.
    Monochrome graphics with nice animation, nice tunes, good playability - although the first three levels are very easy, while the fourth or fifth immediately starts in an impossible way.
    Also, controls could have been a little more responsive. Nonetheless, it was a quality release.

3,5/5

DragonNinja.gif
  • edited January 2018
    Punk Star [Iber Soft]
    PunkStar.gif
    by Genesis Soft (Julio Casal, Juan Casal, Miguel Angel Borreguero Quesada)

It's got a cute irate punky creature as a star, which tends to bounce when hitting a platform or an obstacle (green rocks), which doesn't particularly help manoeuvrability. I understand his anger.

2,5/5

PunkStar.gif
    Post edited by WhenIWasCruel on
  • Street Sports Basketball [U.S. Gold]
    StreetSportsBasketball.gif
    by Canvas (James Bagley, Dave Worton)

Choose your players (guys from the neighborhood) and play basketball in alleys or parking lots. Nice idea, but the actual playing part is not that good.

2,5/5

StreetSportsBasketball.gif
  • edited January 2018
    Revolver [Alternative Software]
    Revolver.gif
    by PDL, GOGO Grafix

It's an entertaining little shooter set in a western environent viewed in a isometric 3d angle. You only have to wander around town, and there is a set number of gunslingers you have to kill before that specific room can be considered clean - but you're not stucked in a specific location until you've cleaned it, you can explore. Graphics are small, and it all considerably slows down when there's another sprite on the screen, but it's not that bad. It's fun for a couple of minutes.

2,75/5
    let's say 3/5

Revolver.gif
  • edited January 2018
    Speed Zone [Mastertronic]
    SpeedZone.gif
    by PAL Developments, Clockwize (Keith A. Goodyer, Denis Hickie, Jaine Hickie)

Ok, what's going on in this game?

1,5/5
  • Ok, what's going on in this game?

Why don't you play it and let us know?
  • I love Revolver! There are thousands of better isometric games, I know, but this is a crappy, charming game.
  • Rastan [Imagine Software]
    Rastan.gif
    by Icon Design Ltd (Tom Lanigan, Paul Murray, Jas C. Brooke, Ed Knight)

Extremely playable Leap and Fight game with a muscular star and his mighty sword, and blinding backgrounds.

3,5/5

Rastan.gif
  • Those backgrounds really do spoil Rastan. It plays brilliantly, you just can't see the enemies!
  • edited January 2018
    Those backgrounds really do spoil Rastan. It plays brilliantly, you just can't see the enemies!

Much like you (and me at times) champion the Master System version of Ghouls n' Ghosts, as potentially being the best version out there, can I say the Master System version of Rastan is the best 8 bit version. That energy bar, and slightly longer lasting powerups really made the game that much more enjoyable and accessible.

The Speccy, and the arcade versions are ace, but the 1 hit death really made them agonizingly infuriating at times.

EDIT: Whoa sin of sins! I just thought I'd have a quick bash of it after typing that and realised my Master System folder does not have Rastan in it! :O

EDIT: EDIT: Nope scratch that I'm blind it's right there :))

Oooh along with such other platform trudgefests as Kenseiden, and Spellcaster, I might have a little MS session today :)
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
  • I love Revolver! There are thousands of better isometric games, I know, but this is a crappy, charming game.

I loved Revolver too, especially the track Taxman :P
  • Those backgrounds really do spoil Rastan. It plays brilliantly, you just can't see the enemies!

Much like you (and me at times) champion the Master System version of Ghouls n' Ghosts, as potentially being the best version out there, can I say the Master System version of Rastan is the best 8 bit version. That energy bar, and slightly longer lasting powerups really made the game that much more enjoyable and accessible.

The Speccy, and the arcade versions are ace, but the 1 hit death really made them agonizingly infuriating at times.

EDIT: Whoa sin of sins! I just thought I'd have a quick bash of it after typing that and realised my Master System folder does not have Rastan in it! :O

EDIT: EDIT: Nope scratch that I'm blind it's right there :))

Oooh along with such other platform trudgefests as Kenseiden, and Spellcaster, I might have a little MS session today :)

Yup, gotta love MS Rastan. Not sure about Kenseiden, it seems a bit sluggish?
  • edited January 2018
    Super Trolley [Mastertronic]
    SuperTrolley.gif
    by Icon Design Ltd (Paul Atkinson, Ed Knight)

Creepiest game ever.

2/5

SuperTrolley.gif

Crash reports: "Following a visit to the supermarket, Andrew Collett wrote to Jimmy Saville asking if he could Fix It for him to turn this game idea into a full-blown computer game. Jim got in touch with Mastertronic and this is the end result."

...?
  • Here's the story behind the game

Thanked by 1WhenIWasCruel
  • edited January 2018
    Time Flies [Firebird Software]
    TimeFlies.gif
    by Zeit Corporation (Christian Pennycate, P.E. Alexander)

Vertical shoot'em up with big monochrome graphics in which you're not entirely sure why you die.

2/5

TimeFlies.gif
  • Murphy [Pirate Software]
    Murphy.gif
    by Mark Rivers

Ride your fantastic pogostick over skyscrapers, and die crashing against little birds.

1,75/5

Murphy.gif
  • Inside Outing by The Edge
    InsideOuting.gif

By Michael St. Aubyn

An isometric adventure that takes place in a mansion of a dead rich man whose widow asks you to find some hidden gems along the house.

To achieve your mission, you must face some weird pets that are the result of bizarre experiments by the dead man.

This game turned up when all the classic isometric games were already released. Anyway, the idea was very good and the result was an interesting adventure but with slow, clumsy and rough movements of characters that made it sometimes exasperating.

Graphically is good (hence the slowness of movements, maybe), with very detailed objects in every room. All in a very short map, though. Nice and original transitions between screens.

A good idea in a dissapointing game, unfortunately.

2/5

InsideOuting.gif
  • edited January 2018
    Inside Outing [The Edge]
    InsideOuting.gif
    By Michael St. Aubyn

Take this, Juan.

4/5

InsideOuting.gif

• edited January 2018
    4/5??? LOL