Its Saturday, my favourite day, and I'm going to celebrate by playing...

Yeti by Cybadyne, 1988

I did a random pick and this is what I got...

Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.

Comments

• I was going to say it looks abominable, but it doesn't look that bad to be honest.
  • edited September 2019
    I feel like playing either Pyramania, Kokotoni Wilf or perhaps a blast on Tapper :) , although the last one I must admit I prefer the 'feel/gameplay' of another platforms variant.

EDIT... Having said that Sinclair/Psion Scrabble also appeals. I think I'll fire that one up now actually, on Level1 so I have a fighting chance!
    Post edited by spider on
  • Well I suppose as long as it does not pick Alien Kill (insert personal most disliked game here) I guess its OK. :D
  • Well, I gave it a good try and...

Graphics : 9/10
    Game play: 4/10
    Game level: Hard, no gentle learning curve, thrown right in and its bloody hard.

I've given up. Too hard for me.
  • spider wrote: »

EDIT... Having said that Sinclair/Psion Scrabble also appeals. I think I'll fire that one up now actually, on Level1 so I have a fighting chance!

Ah, nice suggestion, I had a go myself. :)
  • Luny wrote: »
    Did you win ? :D
    I lost :( :)
  • Way ahead of y’all:

EFk59YHXYAA7a6t.jpg
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • From here on I declare Saturdays on WoS, luny's Spectrum Saturdays! <:-P
  • edited September 2019
    I did also fire up Jack/Nipper briefly too as I used to play that BITD too, although I realised I could not remember what to do :( and the controls seemed difficult compared to how they were. Was never a fan of JTN2 though but in its fairness I've never really 'tried' properly with it.

I did consider one of the Wally Week games but it would of had to of been 3Weeks as the others are a tad too complex/hard , plus 3Weeks is the one I can complete (just) without cheating if I put my mind to it, or at least I could at one time! :)

Perhaps "Luny's Spectrum Saturdays" ought to be for games that we "probably should of played or tried that we might of liked if we had given them 'the time of day' or something like that" ? :)

I can think of a few myself that really I should of given more attention / time too as there may well of been a really good game lurking within.
    Post edited by spider on
  • Give Jack the Nipper 2 another go. It's a really good game. :)
    Luny wrote: »
    Did you win ? :D
    I lost :( :)

Kind of, I allowed two words through, but I was on level 2. :)
    From here on I declare Saturdays on WoS, luny's Spectrum Saturdays! <:-P

Thank you, I am honored. I shall endeavor to keep up this new tradition in the style that fits the moment. I.E. I get up in my casuals, slob about and load up some speccy game and share my thoughts. ;)

spider wrote: »
    I did also fire up Jack/Nipper briefly too as I used to play that BITD too, although I realised I could not remember what to do :( and the controls seemed difficult compared to how they were. Was never a fan of JTN2 though but in its fairness I've never really 'tried' properly with it.

I did consider one of the Wally Week games but it would of had to of been 3Weeks as the others are a tad too complex/hard , plus 3Weeks is the one I can complete (just) without cheating if I put my mind to it, or at least I could at one time! :)

Perhaps "Luny's Spectrum Saturdays" ought to be for games that we "probably should of played or tried that we might of liked if we had given them 'the time of day' or something like that" ? :)

I can think of a few myself that really I should of given more attention / time too as there may well of been a really good game lurking within.

Great idea, yesterdays was a complete random, which is always a good way of trying something 'new'. But I sure I can come up with other odd games too. Maybe I could throw in a some odd favorites of mine too. Then you can all tell me how to get on. :)
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited September 2019
    That might not be a bad idea @luny , in that we pick a few things out , ideally not always the " regular / very well known " type of titles but avoiding the junk too , to give others ideas of 'something to try that you may not of paid (payed? I always mix them up!) much attention to before' kind of thing.
    Post edited by spider on
  • I'd be interested in that. Certainly give me reason to set up one of my Speccies and give it some use, even if I'm crap at the games.

• I'm pretty crap at arcade, but it doesn't really matter as long as we get a handle on the game and what the author was trying to do with it.
  • Or we could bring back Games Club!
  • It wouldn’t be the same without Milesy...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Yeah, we might get to play some good games! :))
  • I already have a few 'in mind' to suggest on Saturday. :) , I thought it would be best to stick to a max of three maybe so that there does not end up with some huge overwhelming list of choices when you factor in that quite a few members will likely make suggestions. Either that or one or two per member.
  • Arjun wrote: »
    It's actually Monday. :P
    Damn it!
    I blame Luny!

• Arjun wrote: »
    It's actually Monday. :P

lols I meant this upcoming Saturday :D
  • Yeah, we might get to play some good games! :))

Yeah Mutan Zone truly was a milestone

*Gets coat
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Wasn't me guv'nor, 'onest! Every day is a Saturday for me ;) (I wish, what a crap day today woz)

I'm happy to let this 'post' to evolve and grow out of proportion, as they normally do. But I'll probably stick to one random and anything I get the urge to play on the morning.

Spider; either dive in or if you like we can confer in the morning. I'm bit of an early starter on most Saturdays, got into the habit after having kids and never got out of it. :)

But of course these postings are for everyone to comment, abuse or joke. So the more the merrier!
  • edited October 2019
    Its Saturday! Todays semi-random choice (I skipped some, cos I like breaking the rules) is
    Amaurote, M.A.D., 1987

Amaurote.gif

Insert, load, squeal. Yes I even let it loaded normally for the full experience.

For anyone not heard of this one it's a Mastertronics M.A.D label game which is an isometric bash the bugs game by Binary Designs. Your aim is to kill bugs which have taken over the city Amaurote, find the queen, order a super bomb and kill her. Once all the bugs have been cleared, move onto another district.

It take a bit of skill killing a bug. I found getting them to follow you, running away then turning and fire. If you time it right they will get hit by the bouncing bomb. The flying bug is the hardest. I couldn't quite judge its distance and height, so it was sheer luck. Having one left and not beign able to hit it I gave up...

Graphics: 5/5
    Game play: 4/5
    Game level: Medium with some hard bits.
    Post edited by Luny on
  • edited October 2019
    +1 for Amaurote :) I had this (might still have it) BITD , very good value for money too.

Off topic: I think it does not appreciate +2A/+3 machines, could be wrong. Regular 128K toastie or +2(grey) mode recommended for it to get the 128K benefits.

Tis an excellent game all in all I think though, a pleasant idea although it can be at times frustrating (can't they all though?) :)

My mini selection for others to try:

Locomotion
    Loco-Motion.gif

An interesting puzzle game, it can be quite difficult.

Worse things happen at sea
    WorseThingsHappenAtSea.gif

Quite unique in that I have not seen any equivalent for another platform. It can be a bit repetitive however if you have not tried this before (read instructions) then it is quite a reasonably interesting game to try

Post edited by spider on
  • edited October 2019
    Locomotion was a brilliant suggestion, bloody hard and stressful that game. But yes original and fun. I tried playing it as if I had just 'borrowed' it from you and didn't read the instructions. didn't get too far, so I read them and discovered the '0' panic button ;)

WTHAS was an old old favorite of mine. I remember actually spending hours completing. I'm might load that up later in the day.

My second choice is an old classic:

Cauldron

Cauldron.gif

This is a game I haven't revisited in a very long time.

Well this gives enough games to play around with through the day inbetween jobs. Thanks as well to Spider.
    Post edited by Luny on
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited October 2019
    Thanks for the kind comments @luny :)

I tried (reasonably) hard to avoid anything that was really crap/bad but at the same time also avoided anything that might be too well known/popular/on too many C90's etc , with thoughts to making sure what I did choose was at least half interesting. Something like that anyway! :D

I did have a few more 'in mind' but figured it would be best to limit it, can always save the other ones for next week ;)

Cauldron, downloaded will check later/tomorrow. I do think I have played it a year or two ago, but not to any degree as such. Actually come to think of it I may of played the Amstrad version once or twice a long time back.

EDIT... Your link to the game is actually 'random' not to it ? Not sure if that was on purpose or not. :) If not then: Cauldron , if it was just ignore!
    Post edited by spider on
    EDIT... Your link to the game is actually 'random' not to it ? Not sure if that was on purpose or not. :) If not then: Cauldron , if it was just ignore!

ha, ha, I was doing another random when I cam across Cauldron. I forgot the link might incorporate that. Oh well. :)
  • Just in from work guys sorry to miss joining in today's gaming delights. I'm afraid I've a busy couple of days, but will give the suggestions a try Tuesday. Should be able to make a suggestion next week.
    Thanked by 2Luny spider
  • Odd to see Amaurote getting love here because I thought it was a turd. The 128k presentation was nice though.