Its Saturday, my favourite day, and I'm going to celebrate by playing...

Comments

• I've been doing a lot of decorating these past few months, so my Saturdays have been starting with painting or rubbing or something. I had a gap today waiting for the missus to go out and get the correct paint (she decides on the colours and designs), so I loaded up the emulator over coffee.

I went major retro this week and loaded two very nostalgic games.

The first was Comos one of Costa Panyia's earliest games.

I have fond memories for this simple game as it was one of a few games I first ever played on my mates Speccy. Having only played ZX81 & Vic games, it seemed quite advanced at the time, which is odd as one of the other games was Trashman, which is vastly superior with respects to graphics, animation and sound. However its simplicity makes it a fun game to play. Once.

The second game I played was Beaky and the Eggsnatchers.
    This was one of my first games I 'borrowed' when I eventually got my own Speccy, along with Pyramid. When mentioned everyone always remembers Pyramid from Fantasy, but this little gem tends to get forgotten. The balance between arcade and skill is well thought out. With the challenge of flying the awkward Beaky and shooting the snatchers, then catching your eggs. Its a great game and still holds up today.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • I don't mind decorating as long as it's not wallpaper hanging, I get my sister to do that because I'm proper cack-handed at it. I've not done any Speccy gaming for a few months either. My gaming TV I had in our spare room became the living room TV just before Christmas because our Hitachi one after 8 years decided to have LED backlight failure in the screen. As it never had a great picture I wasn't too enthusiastic to fix it.

I can't remember playing these, although Beaky rings a bell. Cosmos looks like a very basic Spawn of Evil type shooter. Been watching a couple of YouTube videos of these, and yeah Beaky seems definitively to have quirky controls. They are on my list of give em' a go once sorted with a TV.

• I don't mind decorating as long as it's not wallpaper hanging, I get my sister to do that because I'm proper cack-handed at it. I've not done any Speccy gaming for a few months either. My gaming TV I had in our spare room became the living room TV just before Christmas because our Hitachi one after 8 years decided to have LED backlight failure in the screen. As it never had a great picture I wasn't too enthusiastic to fix it.

I can't remember playing these, although Beaky rings a bell. Cosmos looks like a very basic Spawn of Evil type shooter. Been watching a couple of YouTube videos of these, and yeah Beaky seems definitively to have quirky controls. They are on my list of give em' a go once sorted with a TV.

Wallpaper-ing is the last thing in the room I am currently decorating and I totally agree with you. The paper is textured and marks easily, it bubbles far to easily even though I'm using the 'best' paste. Hate it! but nearly done, I'm having a coffee break before I just hang the last bits. Then that room is done!

This is all good news as the youngest moves into that room and out of the box room. Guess who is getting the box room! Yup retro area on the horizon. However to start with it'll get filled with everything in storage. But that does include the modest collection which will be sorted through, along with all the crap we have boxed up.
  • Thought for the (Satur)day.
    Kosmic Kanga? A good game for an oldie.

There is an era of games before the epics where the ones not based on an arcade were relatively simple but playable. It is this simple era that I like, on top of the Ultimate times and the later Imagine epic games. There is something nostalgically magical about them. You know what I mean, Cavelon, Worst Things Happen at sea...

Right I'm off to give it a five minute play to see if the nostalgia lives up to the reality....
  • I'm feeling like a bit of Chuckie Egg later.
    Might just have a run around Roller Coaster too.
    Android One might just get a good thrashing aswell.
    (along with a load of other randoms)
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • Luny wrote: »
    Thought for the (Satur)day.

There is an era of games before the epics where the ones not based on an arcade were relatively simple but playable. It is this simple era that I like, on top of the Ultimate times and the later Imagine epic games. There is something nostalgically magical about them. You know what I mean, Cavelon, Worst Things Happen at sea...

Right I'm off to give it a five minute play to see if the nostalgia lives up to the reality....
    I'd agree with your point about the time period, but Kosmic Kanga is obviously based on the Jump Bug arcade game. I was surprised when I found that as it seemed to be reported as an original game in the press at the time.
  • "There is an era of games before the epics where the ones not based on an arcade were relatively simple but playable" (Luny) -- this is a good remark. They were stuff that could have been an arcade game but wasn't. (I mean, Trashman could easily have been Atari's Paperboy, but would have been a bit less eccentrically British.)

The mainstream American view of video games is still "Pong, Mario Bros, Doom, Halo", natch.
    Thanked by 1Luny
    Thought for the (Satur)day.

I'd agree with your point about the time period, but Kosmic Kanga is obviously based on the Jump Bug arcade game. I was surprised when I found that as it seemed to be reported as an original game in the press at the time.

Oh, so it is. I have not heard for Jump Bug and never played it, so I stand corrected. Thanks. I'll take that one of my 'originals' list and move it into my nostalgic only list. Maybe I should have said '...ones not directly based on...' as a lot of games have some similarity to earlier ones, but yes Kanga is very much based on Jump Bug.

• edited April 6
    OK its not Saturday (but these are exceptional circumstances, so hopefully it does not matter too much about the day itself!) and I've not been here for quite a while for a few reasons unfortunately.

I'd like to nominate:

20 Tons

Incredible Shrinking FIreman

The latter is quite reasonable once you get into it, the former I did at one time build a 40 level version but its not too bad for a 'boulderdash' type game in Basic.
    Post edited by spider on
  • Hey Spider, you are correct, in these unusual circumstances everyday could be a Saturday.

Some good choices there by the way. I've never played either so I will find some time to give them ago. Maybe Saturday as the limited deliveries of the DIY stores has scuppered my house repairs. But still as they say, first world problems, its all for the big cause.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • Thanks. For what (little) it is worth, I did plan on appearing/posting it Saturday but real life got in the way.I thought about waiting till the next one but then as I say given the 'circumstances' of late figured no one would mind said topic having a weekday update. :D
  • Figuring it now really is Saturday (believe it or not) it was time to see if anyone had any games to suggest, unusual / not well known (older ones especially) :)
  • Sorry,, I jump straight into putting up architrave around a door. I've logged on this morning but only to see my messages.

Quick random thought, how about...

Sir Lancelot, as it was mentioned elsewhere...

Magic Carpet.. Because!

• Good selection (sorry I'm a day late with the reply!) :)

I'd heard of both of these but do not recall playing them, although I have a sneaking suspicion I may of seen Magic Carpet on a friends erm 'compilation' tape 'back then'

Looking forward to trying them out later today!
  • Magic carpet is a game for masochists, that’s all that really needs to be said :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I ran out of free time (yes really) yesterday to try those games however later today/evening I will :)
  • edited April 25
    Its Saturday again, so...

Micro Mouse Goes De-bugging
    , this is more fun than it may appear to be from the screenshot. Put the Basic letters back and watch the program run!

Specventure , similar vein to the above: Shoot the bugs! , not a bad range of 'per level' and 'in-game' tunes though.
    Post edited by spider on
  • ooh, some unusual choices there. hard choice.. Sun or Speccy.....
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited April 25
    spider wrote: »
    Specventure , similar vein to the above: Shoot the bugs! , not a bad range of 'per level' and 'in-game' tunes though.

Thank you very much - I always forget the name of this one.

I got this on Easter Day in 85 or 86 - played it for hours that day until I finished it. Was impressed by the in game tunes at the time.

Gonna go load it up now for a bit of happy memories....and just for fun - I've made a .wav so I can load it into my Next off an old MP3 player :)
    Just loaded it up - the instructions in this game are really good. And what a list of tunes! Forgot you could switch tunes. And that Game Over screen :) Pity it only happens once per load of the game.

I must remember this one in future. I always play Horace Goes Skiing on my Birthday, Penetrator on Christmas day - so I should play this on Easter Day.
    Post edited by alanspec on
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
    Thanked by 1spider
    ooh, some unusual choices there. hard choice.. Sun or Speccy.....
    Perhaps if you have a netbook/laptop both can be done at once, with a quick install of your favourite emulator. :) , that reminds me I must try to find a replacement screen for my ancient netbook at a sane price, it had an accident a couple of months ago.
    alanspec wrote: »
    spider wrote: »

Thank you very much - I always forget the name of this one.

I got this on Easter Day in 85 or 86 - played it for hours that day until I finished it. Was impressed by the in game tunes at the time.

Gonna go load it up now for a bit of happy memories....and just for fun - I've made a .wav so I can load it into my Next off an old MP3 player :)
    Just loaded it up - the instructions in this game are really good. And what a list of tunes! Forgot you could switch tunes. And that Game Over screen :) Pity it only happens once per load of the game.

I must remember this one in future. I always play Horace Goes Skiing on my Birthday, Penetrator on Christmas day - so I should play this on Easter Day.
    I did get this game back then too, I likely still have it! :)
  • I use to play Micro Mouse and the later 1989 version with the same name.

https://worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Micro+Mouse+Goes+Debugging$&pub=^MC+Lothlorien+Ltd$&loadpics=1

Specventure is new to me, didn't have it so will have to give it try. Looking at the inlay you get the gist that it's a game based on the film, Tron.
  • edited April 25
    Specventure is a great little game I still fire up from time to time...

Mastertronic had a pretty good run of games around about the time this game came out actually, seemed like they’d stopped churning out crap like Alien Kill :))
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited April 25
    Specventure is a great little game I still fire up from time to time...

Mastertronic had a pretty good run of games around about the time this game came out actually, seemed like they’d stopped churning out crap like Alien Kill :))

lol don't remind me of that, I brought it back then. To be blunt, how it actually got released is a mystery even then :( It was really about the same (imo) as a decent mag type-in, albeit iirc compiled Basic. Apologies if the author reads this! As their other game was not too bad.

Post edited by spider on
  • Seemed like something closer to a game from Cassette 50 to me :))

Thanked by 1spider
  • I had a go on Specventure this morning and I agree, it is a very nice game for a Mastertronics. Very playable some nice smooth sprites (for the time) and the choice of tunes if a very nice touch.
    Thanked by 1spider
  • edited May 9
    :)

One Man And His Droid II

Had brought the original 'back then' , the followup linked above is not too bad at all, although it could possibly be described by some as a "Marmite" type of game perhaps, either love/hate.

Galaxias

Thought a text adventure might be in order here for a change! This is Quill/Illustrator based (no patch/press iirc) and only a few full screen pThe game itselft is very straightforward, no silly puzzles really and not too many chances to have an unexpected end! Font is a bit tricky to read for some. Usual 23606,0 / 23607,60 to force it back to default if needed. Although not helpful now, somewhere I have a version of this where I used a slightly 'easier on the eyes but still futuristic/space charset' version of it.

Post edited by spider on
  • Never even heard of Galaxias, and probably would’ve skimmed past it during a search. As with a name like that I’d have probably assumed it was another clone of “insert generic 80’s arcade shooter here”.
  • Never even heard of Galaxias, and probably would’ve skimmed past it during a search. As with a name like that I’d have probably assumed it was another clone of “insert generic 80’s arcade shooter here”.
    I've never seen the "stand alone" version of it for sale, 99% sure it did exist. :) My first viewing of this was on the 4Most Adventures compilation tape 'back then' , I still have that too!

As a random sidenote it was also the first fully working adventure port I did (Speccy to BBC Micro) a few years ago.
  • edited May 16
    I have a collection of the Interceptor Micros adventures, but didn't really get around to playing all of them properly. So I have decided to give some of them a good thorough playing. They are not the best of adventures having a very simple and frustrating parser, but have a bit of atmosphere and are quite playable. Jewels of Babylon always gives me a smell of nostalgia and fond memories of the time when I see the cover or loading screen.

I'm going to start with The Forest at Worlds End.
    Post edited by Luny on
  • I have been playing a lot of NES CastleVania this week on the Switch. I might have to try out that Speccy version properly, but I seem to recall it was a bit more like CastleVania 2 and I'm much less of a fan of that one.