I am currently playing......

Comments

• zx1 wrote: »
    Is polo the mint with the hole or the mint that puts holes in you? :))

Depends on whether I get my big gun out or not ;)
    So far, so meh :)
  • polomint wrote: »
    zx1 wrote: »
    I'm not wanting sloppy seconds again! You have Curie and i'll take Piper, we can share Cait together in a threesome :)) :)) :))

It's a deal, although you have to do Danse and Garvey :p

Done them already then i killed them! :))
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited June 22
    I largely gave up on games during the late-2000s, early-2010s, so I've used the COVID crisis to catch up on a couple of curate's eggs that I remember reading a lot about but not playing. Firstly Mirror's Edge(tm) (2008), an intermittently clever but short and frustrating parkour game. It has fantastic albeit baked-in lighting:

yUd8QeO.jpg
    ILvHaLm.jpg
    nB4RWnG.jpg

I wrote about it at greater length here. It's frustrating because the parkour sections - the bits for which the game is most famous - are great fun, but the developers felt the need to break them up with fighting and indoors platforming sections, which are respectively shallow and irritating. And yet when it does work, it works well. The soundtrack is excellent too:

The second is Terror From the Deep, which I remember avoiding back in 1995 because it had poor reviews. It's not actually a curate's egg at all. I've seen people try to defend the game on the internet, and I respect them. I admire their commitment. They are the kind of people who would fight to the death to defend the right to freedom of speech, even if they disagreed with the message. I wish I had their courage.

Alas it's rotten. None of the new ideas work. It's a lot harder than UFO but in a "so what" way. The tactical maps are a slog - larger and more numerous than the originals, but emptier - and by the end of the game I wanted to hurt Microprose as much as Microprose had hurt me, but I knew that I couldn't hurt Microprose because Microprose died a long time ago, and that just made my anger more blinding. How can I hurt something that's already dead?

h5RwGEN.jpg
    QA9BFjm.jpg

The third is Kane and Lynch: Dead Men, which I remember being advertised up the wazzoo when it was released. It's a cover-based shooter that starts off as a gangster game and then turns into a generic military shooter:

0WBKv37.jpg
    nyfvsVU.jpg

It came out a year before Mirror's Edge(tm) but looks much, much older. It has a cooperative aspect whereby you play Kane, who is always followed about by Lynch, and sometimes also by a team of allies. Surprisingly the team can generally look after itself, so that aspect isn't a problem - they're useless in combat, but they don't die all the time - but the cover system doesn't work very well and the difficulty level is all over the place. The levels are linear and there's very little replay value so it would have been poor value at full price.

The storyline and characterisation are potentially interesting. The writing tries to be darker, bleaker, and more serious than Grand Theft Auto, and for the first few levels it works, but around the time I smashed into a prison using a giant earthmoving machine - after using the same machine to drive to a lay-by so I could bury my wife - it became hard to take it seriously. The sequel is apparently very stylish but even less entertaining.

Nowadays Dead Men is more famous for events surrounding this review:
    https://gamespot.com/reviews/kane-and-lynch-dead-men-review/1900-6182881/

Despite being surprisingly mild and giving it 6/10, which in the Amiga Power scale is "not bad", the writer was fired. It has to be said that most of the issues mentioned in the review could have been fixed relatively easily with patches, so it seems a wild over-reaction. It does raise the question of whether other contemporary reviews of the game were overly generous.
    Post edited by Ashley Pomeroy on
  • I've tried Mirrors Edge many times, but just could not get on with it at all :/ Kane & Lynch was ok, but I also got bored of that quite quickly. I've been trying random games in my Steam (and other stores) list but nothing has really made me want to continue playing, hence why I've gone back to killing everything on Fallout 4 :D
  • I guess Polo won't be happy until the Codies release Advanced Killing Simulator (and the accompanying Massacre DLC, it's absolutely brilliant)
  • XTM of TMG wrote: »
    I guess Polo won't be happy until the Codies release Advanced Killing Simulator (and the accompanying Massacre DLC, it's absolutely brilliant)

100% Machine Code!
    Vampyre wrote: »
    Jesus, TLOU2 just took a turn.

I'd heard that Neil Druckmann said that this game would be about hate, opposite to the first one about love. **** me, I seriously hate a character with a passion at the mo... There's a reason and I've got to find out... why? Just why would they do that?

I've been playing this too. Absolutely loving it so far, but I don't think I've reached the WTF moment you're talking about yet (I'm about 5/6 hours into it, on day two in Seattle). Totally agree with you on the melee combat, and the graphics - really does look incredible on the Pro! I was really hoping they wouldn't expand or overcomplicate the
    crafting system, so I'm chuffed that it's pretty much exactly the same. It's fine the way it is, I'm glad it never becomes annoying or something you end up getting bogged down with like in so many other games.
  • I should be a character in TLOU2... That game would be damn short with me in it ;)
  • You would kill everyone!
    You should play GTA V as you can go on killing sprees shooting and running people over! It would be like your day job :))
  • I got GTA V a while back, did some driving around running everyone over then got bored heh
  • Nothing like taking your work home :D
  • GreenCard wrote: »
    XTM of TMG wrote: »
    I guess Polo won't be happy until the Codies release Advanced Killing Simulator (and the accompanying Massacre DLC, it's absolutely brilliant)

100% Machine Code!

I'd heard that Neil Druckmann said that this game would be about hate, opposite to the first one about love. **** me, I seriously hate a character with a passion at the mo... There's a reason and I've got to find out... why? Just why would they do that?

I've been playing this too. Absolutely loving it so far, but I don't think I've reached the WTF moment you're talking about yet (I'm about 5/6 hours into it, on day two in Seattle). Totally agree with you on the melee combat, and the graphics - really does look incredible on the Pro! I was really hoping they wouldn't expand or overcomplicate the
    crafting system, so I'm chuffed that it's pretty much exactly the same. It's fine the way it is, I'm glad it never becomes annoying or something you end up getting bogged down with like in so many other games.

Oh, if you're in Seattle then you've already seen it. What happens in the lodge when the WLF gang and the Miller brothers meet. I thought it would happen at some point, just not that soon.

I've really enjoyed Day 2 so far - it's fun searching that huge area with the map and I agree completely about the crafting system - they nailed it first time around so why tweak too much.

The Clickers have been done well. They're super-sensitive to you approaching so you have to be REALLY careful and slow, but if you do get spotted you seem to have a better chance of ruining away and taking them out from a distance. In the original, once spotted, that was pretty much it.

But yeah, loving it so far. It feels that those spoilers, whilst right in some respects, have got things completely about face. But I guess time we'll find out eventually.
  • edited June 24
    GreenCard wrote: »
    XTM of TMG wrote: »

100% Machine Code!

Oh, if you're in Seattle then you've already seen it. What happens in the lodge when the WLF gang and the Miller brothers meet. I thought it would happen at some point, just not that soon.

I've really enjoyed Day 2 so far - it's fun searching that huge area with the map and I agree completely about the crafting system - they nailed it first time around so why tweak too much.

The Clickers have been done well. They're super-sensitive to you approaching so you have to be REALLY careful and slow, but if you do get spotted you seem to have a better chance of ruining away and taking them out from a distance. In the original, once spotted, that was pretty much it.

But yeah, loving it so far. It feels that those spoilers, whilst right in some respects, have got things completely about face. But I guess time we'll find out eventually.

I did wonder if that was the moment you were referring to, but because you'd mentioned a few days before that you'd reached Seattle I assumed you were talking about something that happened further into the game. Of course, you might just be saying this to throw me off the scent of a plot twist! ;) It was definitely unexpected though the way it happened, totally didn't see that coming.

Oh man, the clickers really are super-sensitive! I find myself having to use bricks and bottles a lot more in this game (quick throw to stun them, then stabby-stabby :D). Haven't seen a bloater yet, although it looks like they might have been replaced with the shamblers (though Ellie does mention bloaters in a conversation, so perhaps not, but they are very similar), who are absolute buggers, especially when you're fighting more than one in a tight space.

Love the different skill trees now, and the fact that you can craft silencers. I'm also liking that notes that you find serve a bit more of purpose in this game than just feeding you bits of lore, like finding notes that tell you about a hidden stash, or one that tells you that the combination to a particular safe is someone's phone number, which you then have to find yourself.

But yeah, time will tell if those spoilers are real or not. To be honest though, as much as the story in these types of games is incredibly important, I'm having so much fun with it at the moment that I'm sure it won't bother me too much whatever happens. :)

EDIT: I've just realised that you didn't mention getting to Seattle a few days ago! I must be thinking of someone else I've been chatting to about it! :D
    Post edited by GreenCard on
  • Finished Uncharted 4 last night. Really enjoyed it. Some of the best voice acting and camaraderie between the characters that I’ve experienced in a game. Several of the the set pieces when you’re being chased by armoured vehicles are genuinely thrilling.
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Finished Uncharted 4 last night. Really enjoyed it. Some of the best voice acting and camaraderie between the characters that I’ve experienced in a game. Several of the the set pieces when you’re being chased by armoured vehicles are genuinely thrilling.

Brilliant game, that. Even though it’s not quite as groundbreaking for the series as the second game was (which seems to be most people’s favourite), it’s definitely my favourite of the series. Definitely recommend playing Lost Legacy too.
  • Yup, I agree, Uncharted 2 was masterpiece level stuff. 4 was really great but didn't quite reach 2's level. Almost, but just missed.
  • I also finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I started on the PlayStation 3 and then completed on the PC at the dawn of the COVID crisis. It's intermittently excellent; memorable; doesn't hold together; memorable. Unlike the original game the stealth combat is really solid, and purely as an action game it works well, but as with Mirror's Edge it's very bitty.

Bpixt1f.jpg
    PE40alF.jpg
    uZYX3iM.jpg

The art direction and music paper over a lot of the cracks but the ending feels very rushed and the plot is a mess. On the positive side the game's version of Hong Kong is really vivid and it's entertaining while it lasts. The fundamental problem is that it aims for something higher than most games - it has themes, emotional weight, actual characterisation, genuinely good dialogue etc - but the plot is a skeleton.

The team seem to have recorded the dialogue and produced the cutscenes and then rejigged the plot at least twice, with the result that (a) the trailers show a different game (b) the cutscene story feels at odds with the in-game story. And yet I remember it all these months later so it did some things right.

The main menu theme is by the same chap who did the music for the modern XCOM games, but it's in a completely different style. It threw me; I was expecting synthpop, not an elegiac lament for a short-lived golden age:

The original game is no longer available for the PC - the only version you can buy nowadays is the Director's Cut, which has a different lighting engine and some bugs. It uses Steam activation so even if you buy a used copy of the original it won't work, unless it's in a sealed box that was never activated.

Also I finally finished Doom 3, just sixteen years after I bought it. Not worth it. Just before COVID hit I finished Rage, which was what Id Software did next; it feels like a distant prototype of the 2016 Doom reboot but with driving sequences and blurrier megatextures. And I've started Sleeping Dogs, because last year I went to Hong Kong, and the game had good reviews. I feel sad that I didn't eat a pork bun. I've only just got to the open world section but it's fun so far.

Oh, and Ori and the Blind Forest, which also surprised me. I was expecting a twee arty game like Gris, but it's actually a rock-hard 1980s-style platform game, albeit that it looks like a watercolour painting. I haven't finished it yet. I'm scared.

2YRkplz.jpg
    Xq1lD6O.jpg

Also I bought a folding bike. Not technically a game, but it's entertaining:

maImU4H.jpg
  • Not really playing anything right now it's late, I'm a bit pished, and I decided I'm going to install TLOU: Remastered, so that I can relive one of the best games I've ever played again. I'll be going in vanilla since my saves for this game are originally on my PS3. Funnily enough I bought a physical copy of this as soon as it came out, but it got given up on PSN a year or so back.

Want to replay this before I go ahead and get the sequel, for all the hate online, and all the bullshit, I just have to know? I have to play it for myself, I can't deal with the online narrative I have to play the sequel for myself, and make my own mind up. I did not look at any of the leaked stuff or the spoilers, but I'm still wary just from what I know.

The game has a lot of hate, but I want to buy it, and play it to make sure I hate it, or love it for myself, not because what the internet says.....I'll be honest I'm not feeling confident, but I'm one of those guys who likes to make his own mind up...

You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • It's supposed to be a good game, one of the best in fact. It's just the story, fanboy stuff that caused the furore
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • ...with... the Fallout4 Creation Kit.. Yep, it's still as bad as it was when I last used it (years ago) heh

But !!!

I have a Midget Deathclaw !!!!!!

2020628_121636.png

2020628_121821.png
  • That kit is horrible to use, I forgot how bad...

Took forever to just get this, now I've just got to plan the layout :)

• I take it that Deathclaw is docile?
    I take it that Deathclaw is docile?

I'm going to make myself a Deathclaw army, then set them after all the inhabitants muahahaha
    It will have to wait though, I've an idea for a nice space with an entrance to some underground caverns with lots of monsters and lots of guns to pacify them with :D
    Trying to stay calm while using the bloody creation kit lol
    2020628_19625.png
  • I remember in one the FO4 DLC's you could capture a Deathclaw in a trap and if you fitted a special signal emitter it would make it docile. I did this and had one at one the settlements, can't remember which one and it used to wander round and not bother folk. One day 'for a laugh' i turned the signal emitter off and it turned and killed everyone there. I watched and laughed, then killed it :))
    I remember in one the FO4 DLC's you could capture a Deathclaw in a trap and if you fitted a special signal emitter it would make it docile. I did this and had one at one the settlements, can't remember which one and it used to wander round and not bother folk. One day 'for a laugh' i turned the signal emitter off and it turned and killed everyone there. I watched and laughed, then killed it :))

Yep, I remember that one :D Ahhh, fun times heheh

Getting there... some occlusion culling issues in game which don't appear in the editor ffs, but starting to take shape, although I am crap at design lol

• OK I loaded up TLOU: Remastered, it appears I have a save game from 6 years ago?

but I started playing, and Joel, and Sarah are still on the couch, so that save was totally irrelevant :))
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Not really playing anything right now it's late, I'm a bit pished, and I decided I'm going to install TLOU: Remastered, so that I can relive one of the best games I've ever played again. I'll be going in vanilla since my saves for this game are originally on my PS3. Funnily enough I bought a physical copy of this as soon as it came out, but it got given up on PSN a year or so back.

Want to replay this before I go ahead and get the sequel, for all the hate online, and all the bullshit, I just have to know? I have to play it for myself, I can't deal with the online narrative I have to play the sequel for myself, and make my own mind up. I did not look at any of the leaked stuff or the spoilers, but I'm still wary just from what I know.

The game has a lot of hate, but I want to buy it, and play it to make sure I hate it, or love it for myself, not because what the internet says.....I'll be honest I'm not feeling confident, but I'm one of those guys who likes to make his own mind up...
    It's supposed to be a good game, one of the best in fact. It's just the story, fanboy stuff that caused the furore

Like Mel says, all the hate is just fanboy bandwagon BS. I'm quite late in the game (judging by the way the story is going) and it's been great so far. At this point, even if the story takes a ridiculous turn, I'd be lying if I said the writing hasn't been excellent so far. Like Vampyre said, it's pretty much just more TLOU. If you liked that, you'll like this. :)

Sometimes I think people just enjoy hating on good games just for the sake of it, like it's cool to hate them because they're popular. Seems to happen a lot these days. Hipsters! :))
  • GreenCard wrote: »
    Not really playing anything right now it's late, I'm a bit pished, and I decided I'm going to install TLOU: Remastered, so that I can relive one of the best games I've ever played again. I'll be going in vanilla since my saves for this game are originally on my PS3. Funnily enough I bought a physical copy of this as soon as it came out, but it got given up on PSN a year or so back.

It's supposed to be a good game, one of the best in fact. It's just the story, fanboy stuff that caused the furore

Like Mel says, all the hate is just fanboy bandwagon BS. I'm quite late in the game (judging by the way the story is going) and it's been great so far. At this point, even if the story takes a ridiculous turn, I'd be lying if I said the writing hasn't been excellent so far. Like Vampyre said, it's pretty much just more TLOU. If you liked that, you'll like this. :)

Sometimes I think people just enjoy hating on good games just for the sake of it, like it's cool to hate them because they're popular. Seems to happen a lot these days. Hipsters! :))
    yeah while twiddling their handlebar moustache and sipping pinot
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • Gerroutamy'ouse !!!!

2020629_204913.png

• He's named DM Boozefreak? :))
  • yeah I thought for a second that vid was going to be polo bashing his head in with a wrench....