can anybody match my high tech testing bay ...

Comments

• edited August 21
    Its more high tech than mine currently for sure. Mine consists of a multimeter , a couple of different PSU's (for different models) and an tiny 12" (think its a 12 not 14) TV with trailing RGB Scart and composite video cables. I've not seen my cheapy logicprobe for a few years, I think someone borrowed it and never returned it, it was about 20 years old from Maplin though.

No bench either , aka "floor testing" but I do have a worktop*** on the floor to work on, rather than carpet. :)

*** Worktop is a piece of MDF from an old Argos (probably) computer desk, just the top shelf part the monitor lived on.
    Post edited by spider on
  • ha ha .. my power source on that pic was via a PS2 supply with a cheap Chinese regulator / stepper in place of the 5v regulator . damn cheap Chinese stuff always gives interference ... i brought some +2 power supplies from them and when they came after about 9 weeks they were 1amp max ... +2 needs 2.2amp thats just naughty ......and they have the cheek to ask for good feedback ....
    my soldering station consists of two storage boxes with a piece of wood over the top..and the seat is a foot stool (but its on a angle so..its really comfortable .. not ) i have discovered that hot solder and kitchen lino is not the best combination
  • Dropping a hot soldering iron on your carpet or on your trainer (with a man made fabric type top) is also not recommended. And trying to catch a hot iron in your hand and accidentally grabbing the section that contains the heating element is also not recommended :))

Don’t ask how I know!

Mark
  • I've not done the iron vs trainer, carpet I think so possibly many years ago, instantly fibres gone :( , grabbing the iron in the wrong place sadly yes. I guess it was a learning curve in some ways, makes you more 'aware' for the future! Lets not mention charged capacitors ;)
  • Or electrolytic capacitors connected up with the wrong polarity on a high voltage supply...!

Mark
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    Or electrolytic capacitors connected up with the wrong polarity on a high voltage supply...!

Mark
    I've never had this happen but I would take a random guess a low voltage one would just be cooked, possibly the top might open a bit. A HV one might actually go in an unpleasant violent fashion, ie: just burst (dangerous if nearby!)
  • edited August 22
    At technical college, another student got the polarity wrong for a large electrolytic capacitor on a project he was working on, but did not notice. Until that was when he connected and switched on the power... BANG! Part of it launched itself at high speed towards the ceiling, and promptly embedded itself up there!

It was still there weeks later...

It’s just as well he did not have his head over his project when that happened...

Myself, I’ve only blown up smaller electrolytic capacitors. I do have a big one that I would like to try, but have not got around to sorting out a Perspex protection shield yet...

Mark
    Post edited by 1024MAK on
  • edited August 23
    I was wondering if physical size vs capacitance value is the "problem" here, as if you say look in the nearest 70's or so TV, some (physically) very large capacitors are usually not far away (around the tripler HV area maybe) , but their value is not always that high. I remember seeing one about the same size as a fizzy drinks can! Used to disturb me actually when I saw labels such as "live chassis" too :o :D

I guess the reasoning for that is slightly more modern caps are physically smaller for the same value/capacitance, the same way (I think) things like power transistors tend to be a bit smaller now despite having the same abilities, realise they still have those (can't remember the package type-name, "TO3" maybe ?) large round ones with two tags that you bolted to the nearest heatsink.

Disclaimer: I'd not advise -anyone- to attempt to reverse connect a capacitor or even connect one up to voltage the correct way if not sure what doing, you can get a mighty zap or worse with HV.
    Post edited by spider on
  • I think TO3 packages have fallen out of favour because they are awkward for automated production lines...

And MOSFETs have improved substantially, meaning high frequency switching can be used with much low power having to be wasted as heat. So SMD mounting on a PCB is possible. Also aluminium PCBs are now available to help with the heat produced by SMD semiconductors and SMD resistors.

TO220 and TO126 (I think) packages still appear in current products.

Mark
    Thanked by 1spider
  • ohh please don't remind me about that microwave capacitor .....think some gravy came out that day ,,,
  • edited August 24
    mark8bit wrote: »
    ohh please don't remind me about that microwave capacitor .....think some gravy came out that day ,,,

Electrolytic flavoured gravy , hmm nice :-O :D
    Post edited by spider on
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/6kU7UoMqWaLk7bcx8

new piece of state of the art hardware
  • I have a capacitor discharge tool but I have not used it lately . Some people just use a screwdriver.
  • Hi there!

Please PLEASE P-L-E-A-S-E do not EVER do bare electronics on rugs.
    The static-sensitive bits & pieces (read expensive ICs) may remind you of that rule the worse way possible (i.e: suddenly turning dead).

Always use some kind of anti-static mat and ground it. And also take precautions on how you handle the power wiring.

Hope it helps,

zxMarce(2).
  • Worse than that, solder when dropped on carpet embeds itself and is very hard to remove....

And the smell when a soldier iron drops on carpet is not nice... nearly as bad as when you burn your hair...

Mark
  • ohh yeh ... i have a couple of blobs ... also dont use a heat gun on shrink wrap with it resting on the carpet .... oops ...